Saturday, August 29, 2009

Week One.

So, I survived the first week! It wasn't terrible, though I certainly wasn't prepared for the speed at which some of the lecturers flew through the material. Thank goodness I have a solid background in biochem/molecular bio - I can't imagine having to learn all of the material we covered yesterday from scratch. Anatomy is my Achilles' heel, I think - more so the practical/lab stuff than the lecture material, which is largely conceptual. Granted, we've only had two lab sessions, so I imagine that as we get deeper into the dissections things will start making more sense. It's rather difficult to visualize some of the structures without seeing them in their real spatial location.

The first block exam is two weeks from yesterday, which is insanely close. I think I've kept up with the material okay this week, but god forbid I get sick and have to miss a day or two of lecture. In undergrad, that wouldn't have made any difference, but now I think it could completely screw up my exam score for that block. I'm trying not to worry too much about grades, since in terms of residency applications, scores in the preclinical years are much less important than board scores and letters of recommendation, but all the same I know I'm capable of doing very well, so I think I would be a little disappointed if I was consistently scoring "average" on the exams - or worse, failing. I suppose I'll just have to see how I do on the first block and modify my studying accordingly.

Back to the books now. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment