Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First unit down, nine to go.

So I got my score back for the first biochem/genetics exam - I passed, hooray! I hit the class average, but I don't know the score distribution, so I don't know exactly where I fall percentile-wise. But who cares?! I passed! Woo!

We've started dissecting the abdomen, and it is much more difficult than the thorax. For one thing, Grandma Gertie's cause of death (colon cancer) and her obvious surgical history makes finding the "normal" structures something of a challenge (read: basically impossible, as half her colon is missing). We spent three hours this morning dissecting out ONE of the three main arteries which supply the gut, and even then we only managed to find maybe half the branches we were supposed to find. It was frustrating, and smelly, and I'm currently annoyed with my groupmates, who are spending an awful lot of time joking around in lab and very little time actually studying/helping with the dissection. We're all meeting tomorrow afternoon to look at some of the other cadavers (and hopefully find more of Gertie's missing structures). I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Ugh. Med school is so not fun. I'm totally missing undergrad, and research, and being able to do things when I wanted. Thanksgiving (and the end of anatomy) cannot come soon enough...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing that first exam! Give Gertie a big ol' wet kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want me to kiss the cadaver? Ewwww. Really B...that's gross. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete