Thursday, December 9, 2010

Monayyyy.

(Credit: Stylefrizz.com)


There are a lot of wealthy people in medical school, and a lot of people who are secretly cheap but like to pretend they're wealthy. I have a sort-of friend who routinely orders expensive meals when we go out to eat, then casually suggests that we "split the bill," even if my meal was half the price of hers and I had no drinks or dessert. In fact, I now avoid going out to eat with her, and when we do go out I order the cheapest thing I can find, because I know I'll end up paying more than my fair share anyway.

I don't much see the point in getting dressed up for class, so I tend to throw on old sweatshirts and sweatpants and snowboots and head out the door. In contrast, many of the women show up to class dressed like they're ready to go party afterward (maybe that's the plan?). Mostly they carry designer handbags/totes; everyone wears the same pair of Uggs, and The North Face jackets are ubiquitous. And then there's me, trudging along with a faithful L. L. Bean bookbag which I've had since high school, wearing a highly unfashionable down parka because it's freaking COLD outside. I admit, I get a bit of a thrill watching some of the females shiver when they step outside in their sheer leggings and thin (BUT FASHIONABLE!) coats. So much vapid silliness. And really, it's not like the guys are paying attention to who has the most expensive purse - I strongly suspect the whole thing is all a show for the other ladies. Pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment