Thursday, August 20, 2009

Orientating.

So, I'm all moved into my new place and have spent the past two days participating in (well, mostly skipping) the usual onslaught of social "orientation" activities most schools nowadays organize before the first day of classes. I've met a few of my med school classmates, but honestly, I'm not too interested in making friends. My goal here is to get in and get out, diploma in hand, preferably with decent grades.

I took a tour of the campus this morning and everything felt familiar, although it has been over four years since I've seen any of the academic buildings. I learned that if one were to attempt to gain entry or exit from the gross anatomy lab without swiping their ID card, an alarm will sound and (if exiting) one will be locked inside the lab. In fact, that exact incident happened during our tour, and several students looked rather uncomfortable. I couldn't blame them; looking at all the dissecting tables with the cadavers safely ensconed in shiny white plastic bags, the faint smell of formalin and phenol in the air - it's enough to creep anyone out. Everyone says that the weird feeling passes within a week or two, and I believe it, but getting to that point is surely going to take a bit of adjustment.

Perhaps it's the unfamiliar environment, but I've caught myself longing to pack it all in and return home. I've even been thinking fondly of my college experiences, even though I know many of those times were not the happiest. I suppose once classes begin I won't have the time to ruminate so much on this loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment